The Best Place for Rehab.
Treatment & Technology
EksoGT™ Variable Assist Robotic Exoskeleton
Baptist Memorial Rehabilitation Hospital has partnered with Ekso Bionics to be the first in the region to offer the EksoGT™. What does the EksoGT™ mean for our patients?
- It allows the patient to feel how it is to walk again and walk the RIGHT way
- It is able to get patients up much faster and with less help from therapists
- It increases cardiovascular function and improves endurance.
What is the EksoGT™?
Ekso Bionics’ EksoGT™ robotic exoskeleton is a comprehensive gait therapy tool, which provides an unparalleled rehabilitation experience for patients and therapists alike.
Who can use the EksoGT™?
The EksoGT™ is designed for use by individuals with weakness or paralysis of the lower limbs, due to spinal cord injury (SCI) and stroke, in rehabilitation institutions
What results does the EksoGT™ get?
- As of January 2018, the Ekso has helped patients take more than 84 million steps
- Over 85% of those who walked in the EksoGT™ returned home
For more information about the EksoGT™ and other services that Methodist Rehabilitation Hospital offers, please call (901) 275-3300.
Omnicycle Motorized Cycling Machine
- Provides passive, active-assist, and active exercises for upper and lower extremities
- For orthopedic, cardiac, and neurological patients
- It allows a very weak individual to exercise for longer periods of time, gaining proper repetition and motor learning
- It provides a biofeedback feature that assist the patient’s learning and is a key part in preparation for active walking and functional performance
- Provides objective data that the patient can follow with his progress
- Evidence-based equipment that has been shown to improve strength, circulation, coordination, endurance, and spasticity management
A recumbent cross trainer that sets an unparalleled standard for total body exercise in a comfortable seated position.
- It works all major muscle groups and gives an effective cardiovascular workout
- Allows a person to move arms and legs in single, dependent motion that stimulates walking with the added benefit of resistance training
Biodex Unweighing System
Suspension with gait trainer treadmill
Partial weight bearing gait therapy has been proven in helping a wide variety of patients relearn their walking function.
- Evidenced based tool use when a person is unable to support their own bodyweight or lacks the strength to support him/herself during assisted ambulation
- Aids in gait pattern retraining, cardiovascular workout, enhances balance and upright posture
- Uses patient suspension system of a predetermined amount of weight load for the patient’s leg and redistribute it to the trunk and upper thighs
- Used with treadmill that provides rhythmic input to reinforce coordinated, reciprocal movement of the legs
- Research has shown physiological benefits of earlier initiation of exercises in the upright position and posture where in the past would be too difficult for the patient to do
- Brain reorganization from the repetitive stimulation of the neural pathways through muscle patterns and walking facilitation
- Commonly used in patients who had an incomplete spinal cord injury, stroke, and other neurological as well as orthopedic conditions
Biodex Balance System
A unique device that can assess nerve-muscle control by gathering information on a person’s ability to maintain balance.
- It measures balance on a firm and movable surface, stability of standing on one or both legs
- Valuable training device to improve movement abilities especially when the proprioceptive reflex (body’s reaction and reflexes) are impaired after an injury
- It has both testing and training mode for postural stability, fall risk, limits of stability that allows baseline data to compare with as a patient improves as well as to average norms
Bioness H200 Wireless Hand Rehabilitation System
The H200 is used to stimulate nerves and muscles of the forearm and hand in order to regain hand function in order to increase independence with activities of daily living. Specific goals include:
- Increase hand function
- Increase or maintain hand range of motion
- Reduce muscle spasms
- Prevent muscle loss
- Reeducate muscles
- Increase blood circulation
The mobility garden is designed to meet a variety of therapeutic goals including mobility, cognition, emotional well-being, gross/fine motor skills, as well as reintegrating patients into his or her natural environment. The mobility garden hosts a variety of walking surfaces including grass and cobblestone as well as houses a basketball court, driving range, putting green, and raised garden.
ADL suite/Transitional Living Unit
As part of our goal here at BMRH, we provide experiences to assist with reintegration into the community and home environment. The ADL suite is designed with this goal in mind. It allows patients to experience a home environment including use of a washer/dryer, kitchen setup, regular-size bed, and a tub/ shower combination. Patients who have progressed to a higher level of independence may be given the opportunity to live in the suite for 2-3 days prior to discharge
- Diners program for patients with dysphagia (chewing and swallowing disorder)
- Provides personalized therapy at breakfast and lunch everyday
- Teach patients strategies/methods for safe intake
- VitalStim Therapy
- Non-invasive, external electrical stimulation therapy for the treatment of dysphagia
- Involves the use of electrodes that are applied to the neck and face in combination with swallowing exercises
- Shown to accelerate the recovery time from a restricted diet and help patients achieve sustained improvement and long term results
Bioness L300 plus
An electrical stimulation machine that activates thigh and lower leg muscles to assist with control and stability during ambulation and functional tasks.
- Helps with controlling the knee and assisting with foot drop
- Research as provide it is very effective in improving walking speed and symmetry. It has reduced the step inequality by 25% during the first walk and continues to show improvement even after 6 weeks
- It is effective with MS, CVA, and other conditions where the motor unit is intact